Medela’s Contact™ nipple shields make breastfeeding possible when latching on is difficult or painful by protecting sore nipples and helping your baby attach more easily.
- Enable breastfeeding when latching on is difficult or painful or if you have flat or inverted nipples
- Protect sensitive, dry or cracked nipples during breastfeeding
- Made from transparent, ultra-thin, soft silicone that’s comfortable on sensitive skin
- Safe and taste-free for your baby
- Shape maximises skin contact between you and your baby
- BPA free
INCLUDED: Two Contact™ nipple shields with a handy box for storing and carrying them in.
Available in three sizes: S/16 mm, M/20 mm or L/24 mm
What is a nipple shield?
A nipple shield is a thin, flexible piece of silicone that you place over your nipple before breastfeeding to protect it. There are holes in the tip so your milk can pass through to your baby. Some mums worry that having a ‘barrier’ between themselves and their baby may interfere with the intimacy of breastfeeding, which is why Medela Contact™ nipple shields have an open section to ensure you still enjoy plenty of that special skin contact.
When to use nipple shields
There are three main circumstances when you might use nipple shields:
- If you have sore, cracked nipples, or are suffering from nipple pain.
- If you have flat or inverted nipples.
- If your baby has problems latching on to the nipple and is not drinking milk well.
Your lactation consultant or breastfeeding specialist will be able to advise you whether or not nipple shields are appropriate for you, and can also support you with your ongoing breastfeeding needs.
Using a nipple shield can offer a baby who is struggling to latch on a larger, firmer target. Your lactation consultant or breastfeeding specialist can ensure your baby is latching well while you’re using the shield. You’ll also need to monitor your baby’s weight gain to ensure your milk supply is meeting her requirements. In general, nipple shields are a short-term solution – in time, as your baby’s suck strengthens and you get used to breastfeeding, you may well be able to start weaning off nipple shields.
Use collapsible tabs for more detailed information that will help customers make a purchasing decision.
Ex: Shipping and return policies, size guides, and other common questions.